500 x 500 x 10mm
Set of moisture containers
Plastic wash bottle
150 mm dia
Minimum Order Quantity
Product Description - Plastic limit set
What is plastic limit test
Plastic limit set helps to detect the moisture contents at which soil has smallest plasticity, which is also known as plasticity limit. For determination purpose plastic limit set is used; as the water content at which a soil will just begin to deteriorate when rolled in to a thread of 3 mm diameter, i.e. Plastic limit test set is Used for determining the lowest humidity content of a soil at which the sample can be rolled into little rolls, 3 mm diameter, without breakages.
Determination of plastic limit test of soil is essential to ascertain the Plasticity Indicator of the soil. The plastic limit of soil is the humidity content, expressed as a chance of the weight of the roaster–dry soil, at the boundary between the plastic and semi-solid state of thickness. The humidity content at which a soil will begin to deteriorate when rolled into a thread ⅛ inch (3 mm) in periphery using a ground glass plate or other acceptable surfaces.
In other words, the plastic limit set may be defined as the humidity content where the thread of soil breaks apart at a diameter of3.2 mm ( about1/8 inch).
In this regard, the soil is considered non-plastic if the soil thread can not be rolled down to3.2 mm at any possible moisture conditions by the plastic limit set.
What is the plastic limit purpose
Soil can be regarded as the structural base of any type of construction as the majority of the structures are set up on the soil itself. In this account, soil can be accounted as the foundation of all kinds of surface construction. Soil should have an acceptable quality to assure adequate structural strength and safety. Therefore, to assure the quality of the soil, various tests are carried on. One similar test of soil is the plastic limit test.
The plastic limit set is designed for soil test can be defined as the water content at which the soil begins to crumble when rolled into threads of the specified size.
Why is plastic limit important
Importance of Plastic Limit Equipment for Testing of Soil
The main importance of the plastic limit set test of soil can be summarized as follows:
- The value of the plastic limit set is used to classify the fine-grained soils and evaluating the activities of clayey soil.
- Plastic Limit Test of soil indicates the toughness index of soil.
- Plastic Limit Test set gives an idea regarding the consistency of soil.
- Plastic Limit Set is used to predict the consolidation properties of soil while computing the settlement and bearing capacity of the soil.
- The plastic limit set is essential to ascertain the plasticity index of the soil.
The complete Plastic limit set consists of one each:
- Glass plate 20cm x 15cm having round ends
- Brass or stainless steel rod 3mm dia x 150mm long
- Flexible spatula 15 cm
- Set of 6 moisture containers
- Porcelain basin 150mm dia
- Plastic wash bottle 500ml
Standards of Plastic Limit Set: IS 2720 (PART-V) ASTM D-42, BS 1377 AASHTO T 90